Saturday, August 30, 2008

Eating locally to to save myself from going loco

It's harvest time! A time of year when it is easy to plan your meals around fresh local produce because it is everywhere. I love seeing all of the tomatoes, peppers, corn, eggplant, beans, oh I can't even begin to list all of the yummy bounty available at the market. All of this plenty is actually a bit anxiety inducing for me, for two reasons. One, there are so many good things to eat, I can't decide what to make for dinner. Two, it signals the end of summer, the end of the growing season, and the start of -- I dread it ever year -- no local produce. 

Long before eating local became the cool thing to do, I shunned out of season tomatoes because I thought they were, well, to put it bluntly, gross. Same for those mutant, California grown strawberries you can find in the middle of winter.  Slowly, over the past five years, I have been eating more and more seasonally. And this past winter, I contemplated what it would be like to really eat locally, even in winter, in Quebec. 

This past winter was a tough one for me because it was so dang long! To make a long story short, my mental health wasn't in tip top shape, and I had a difficult time eating well-balanced meals because I couldn't stand the sad, imported produce in the grocery aisles. Then I read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. She came to speak in Montreal, both her book and talk inspired me. While I don't have the Appalachian farm like her, I do have a farmers' market just up the street. I have decided to freeze and can my way to delicious meals all winter long. I have been trying to get a blog going now for a long time, but never found the proper theme. But now I kinda, sorta, have it, at least something to start me, for now. 

1 comment:

Rae said...

I just finished that book about a month ago! It's SO good and inspiring. I am already re-reading it so I can make a manageable to-do list. I'm happy to say that I started growing veggies in the backyard this year (not just tomatoes as usual) and have been going to the farmer's market every other week to get organic and local produce and free range eggs. It's nice to feel like you're making a small step in the right direction.